In Functional Materials you will study about
- materials hard and soft: metals, semiconductors, polymers, biomimetic materials, nanomaterials, ceramics, foams, hybrid materials and composites
- the materials at different scales – large and small: atomic bonding, nanoscale and microstructures, bulk materials with large-scale production and novel materials still in research stage
- smart materials and phenomena: stimuli-responsive materials and self-healing materials
- devices: sensors and actuators in nano and microscale
- structural and surface characterisation: SEM, AFM, XRD, Raman, ellipsometer, nanoindentation…
Functional Materials specific criteria for academic evaluation
1. Content of the previous degree
B.Sc or equivalent degree of a relevant field in the natural sciences or engineering. Relevant BSc degrees include e.g. materials science and engineering, physics, nanotechnology, chemistry, and metallurgy. Bachelors in electronics, polymer science, chemical engineering, nuclear engineering, and mechanical engineering may also be eligible.
Students are expected to have strong background in university mathematics, physics and chemistry. Studies in materials science and materials physics are very much appreciated. Engineering basics (thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, strength of materials, instrumentation) are valued, too. Practical laboratory courses must be included in the B.Sc.
This Master’s programme should provide genuinely new knowledge and enhance the career prospects of the applicant. Thus, applicants who already have a Master’s degree in the closely related field will only be accepted onto the programme for very specific reasons. These reasons must be stated in the application.
2. Study success
The applicant’s success in previous studies (those that give basis for applying into the programme) will be evaluated based on the grade point average (GPA) and results in key courses. Preference is given to students with a GPA average equivalent to minimum of 3.0 (on a scale 5.0 max).
The time taken to complete previous studies will also be taken into account. Applicants, who have previously studied at Aalto University, e.g. as exchange students, will also be evaluated according to the grades in those studies and the number of credits obtained in comparison to the time taken for completion.
要申请此工作 请将您的详细情况发送到以下邮箱 firstname.lastname@example.org