The Master’s Programme in Early Modern History will increase your appreciation and understanding of the late Medieval and Early Modern world (roughly 1350-1850) and give you the theoretical and research skills needed to conduct independent historical research. In this period there is much that seems strange and repulsive to us but, at the same time, this is when many developments that helped form the basis of modern society started to emerge.
WHY THIS PROGRAMME?
In the late Medieval and Early Modern World there is much that is foreign to us; devastating witch crazes, judicial torture, spectacular manifestations of power and subordination, a massive expansion of slavery, ubiquitous religious fervour, war, riots and revolution. At the same time, this period experienced phenomena that helped form the basis of modern history; emerging bureaucratic states organised around the ability to tax citizens and wage war, new consumption patterns, intercontinental trader, and the large scale movement of people around the globe.
The Master’s Programme in Early Modern History will provide you with knowledge of, and insight into the Early Modern world ca. 1350-1850, with special focus on Europe but with some attention to other parts of the world.
During the programme you can expect to:
- gain a broad understanding of Early Modern history coupled with a strong emphasis on your research skills.
- analyse a wide array of primary sources, including early handwritten materials material artefacts, and digital databases.
- undertake an internship at a Swedish museum or cultural institution or to do a research internship working within a research project.
- gain access to the rich Early Modern manuscript and book collections of the Uppsala University Library and a number of digital resources and databases.
You have a background in history and now want to dig deeper into this field. If you also enjoy spending time in archives studying primary sources, including very early handwritten material, you will likely enjoy this study opportunity. You are extremely motivated and have confidence in your own ability and knowledge. You enjoy reading, reflecting on what you have read and share your thoughts with others.
A PhD education is a distinct possibility in your future so you would value an educational experience that gets you in close contact with current research and prominent researchers in Uppsala and all across the world.
The programme leads to a Master of Arts (120 credits) with History as the main field of study. It is also possible to graduate after one academic year with a Master of Arts (60 credits) with History as the main field of study.
A Bachelor’s degree, equivalent to a Swedish Kandidatexamen, from an internationally recognised university. The main field of study must be within the humanities or social sciences.
Also required is 60 credits in historical studies.
All applicants need to verify English language proficiency that corresponds to English studies at upper secondary (high school) level in Sweden (“English 6”). This can be done in a number of ways, including through an internationally recognised test such as TOEFL or IELTS, or through previous upper secondary (high school) or university studies.
The minimum test scores are:
- IELTS: an overall mark of 6.5 and no section below 5.5
- TOEFL: Paper-based: Score of 4.5 (scale 1–6) in written test and a total score of 575. Internet-based: Score of 20 (scale 0–30) in written test and a total score of 90
- Cambridge: CAE, CPE
Selection: Students are selected based on:
- a total appraisal of quantity and quality of previous university studies; and
- a statement of purpose (1 page).
If you are not a citizen of a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland, you are required to pay application and tuition fees. Fees cover application and tuition only and do not cover accommodation, academic literature or the general cost of living. Read more about fees.
Application Fee: SEK 900
Tuition fee, first semester: SEK 50000
Tuition fee, total: SEK 200000
要申请此工作 请将您的详细情况发送到以下邮箱 email@example.com