The main topic and fundamental idea behind the programme is how the needs of future industries in terms of high computational performance and energy efficiency can be met with systematic methods based on the latest research results in the field of computer systems engineering. The Master’s Programme in High-Performance Computer Systems aims to provide these cutting-edge skills.
The Master’s Programme in High-Performance Computer Systems:
- aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of how a complete computer system consisting of multiple layers of software and hardware interact to provide ultimate functionality, performance and energy efficiency characteristics;
- offers a deep understanding of different topics in the areas of computer architecture, computer graphics and real-time systems, which are required to master the design of future computer systems that achieve exceptional computational performance (using general purpose and accelerator processing elements) and energy efficiency for demanding emerging applications;
- offers the possibility to dive deep into innovation and entrepreneurship, with special emphasis on how technical ideas can be transformed into businesses either as a startup or as part of existing organizations.
The Programme includes courses on advanced computer architecture as well as techniques to help deliver high performance from parallel programs. In addition, the programme offers the possibility for students to specialize in the areas of computer architectures and sustainable computing, computer graphics, or real-time systems. In addition, the students may also choose a track on Entrepreneurship. As part of their training, the students are offered a course covering generic skills such as technical writing and presentation, research methodology, and ethics.
In addition to the compulsory and specialization courses, which offer the necessary depth, the students are free to choose elective courses, giving them a breadth into related areas such as computational science and machine learning.
Finally, in order to complete the programme the students have to complete a 30 credit Master Thesis project where the acquired knowledge and skills are put into practice. This project offers the opportunity for students to work with world-renowned top faculty researchers that are involved in key projects related to the HPC strategy such as the European Processor Initiative (EPI) and use a variety of advanced systems available at the SNIC Science Cloud and the Chalmers Center for Computational Science and Engineering (C3SE).
This programme is for all students who would like to acquire in-depth knowledge, abilities, skills and methodologies in the area of Computer Engineering and in particular in the field of High-Performance Computer Systems.
More specifically, it is for those students that aim at developing their knowledge, abilities, skills and methodologies needed to:
- be able to lead and participate in software development as well as computer hardware for general and specific computer applications with high demands on computational performance and/or energy efficiency;
- be able to carry out development work in the technological forefront in national as well as international environments in general and with expert knowledge in any of the following computer systems core subjects: computer architecture, real-time systems and computer graphics;
- develop innovative technology and in methodologies needed to take an innovative idea to the market.
Several industrial trends make the proposed master’s program relevant. High-Performance Computing Systems have enabled the creation of many major industries such as the computer game industry, database systems and, more relevant, all applications for machine learning such as autonomous vehicles.
Other Programmes that might interest you
Entry requirements (for academic year 2019/20)
An applicant must either have a Bachelor’s degree in Science/Engineering/Technology/Architecture or be enrolled in his/her last year of studies leading to such a degree.
General entry requirements
Bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent) with a major in: Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Automation and Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Software Engineering or related subjects.Prerequisites: Mathematics (including Calculus (at least 7,5 credits) and Linear algebra (at least 7,5 credits)), Programming in a general-purpose language (e.g. C/C++/Java/Haskell or similar) (at least 7,5 credits); Introduction to Computer Engineering (at least 7,5 credits); and one of the following courses: Discrete mathematics and/or Mathematical statistics and/or Probability theory and/or Algorithms and/or Data structures (at least 7,5 credits)
Preferable course experience: Basic computer organization, Machine-oriented programming, Principles of concurrent programming, Mathematical modelling and problem solving.
要申请此工作 请将您的详细情况发送到以下邮箱 firstname.lastname@example.org