Why IP Law?
As the protection of all types of intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets) becomes more and more important, the need for experts with competence in both law and business is growing exponentially.
If you want an edge in the job market and you envision yourself as the intellectual property expert of tomorrow, this is the specialisation for you.
The studies offer an international environment of high academic standard, with a wide range of career opportunities. As the only Finnish university in the European Union Intellectual Property Office University Network, our major offers a unique opportunity to network with students from other elite European institutions, as well as supervisors from EUIPO, which administrates European trademarks and design registration.
Our graduates are equipped with
» comprehensive knowledge of the intellectual property laws in Europe and internationally
» competence in and knowledge of intellectual property rights in a business environment
» research and analytical skills
» communication skills
» independent critical thinking in intellectual property matters
IPR University Center
The programme is administered by the Department of Commercial Law and implemented in close cooperation with the IPR University Center, which is the leading academic intellectual property education and research centre in Finland.
Facts about the degree
- 120 credits, 2 years of full-time study
- Language: English
- Next application round opens: 1 November 2019
- Degree: MSc in Economics and Business Administration
- Location: Helsinki
Courses and outline of studies
- IP-specific courses, 90 ECTS
- Elective courses, 25 ECTS
- Language course(s), 5 ECTS
In addition to the compulsory courses, the studies allow for a wide range of elective courses in, for example, law, finance, marketing, business administration, and accounting. We help you combine the best of both worlds, building meaningful, individual studies to suit your future career goals.
Compulsory IP-Specific Courses
- 37014 Fundamentals of Intellectual Property Law (10 ECTS
- 37029 Fundamentals of Intellectual Property Law II (5 ECTS)
- 37028 International and Comparative IP Law (5 ECTS)
- 9995 Introduction to Market Analytics (2 ECTS)
- 9996 Social Responsibility across Business Studies (3 ETCS)
- 37030 Research Methodologies in Intellectual Property Law (10 ECTS)
- 37170 Research Seminar in Commercial Law (5 ECTS)
- 3720-E Master’s Thesis (30 ECTS)
The elective courses should be taken according to the recommended time in the course description (if any).
For course descriptions, see WebOodi,
The Pan-European Seal is a professional traineeship programme promoted by the European Union Intellectual Property Office, the European Patent Office (EPO) and strategic university partners such as Hanken. In cooperation with the Pan-European Seal, Hanken provides its students access to an online Intellectual Property (IP) training programme, as well as the possibility for a paid traineeship at EUIPO or EPO.
You can improve your knowledge of IP and also get ECTS credits by using the online training portals. In order to access the material, you first need to register as “member of the Pan-European Seal” on the learning page.
In cooperation with the Pan-European Seal programme, Hanken will annually shortlist five high-achieving IPL students (and/or alumni) for a paid internship at EUIPO or EPO for one year. Among the shortlisted candidates (including those of the other participating universities), a yearly average of 100 trainees will be selected. For more information about the traineeships, please contact Hanken’s IPL Programme Coordinator, Professor Nari Lee. The traineeship is tied to Hanken’s online course, Practical IP in Europe (3798). Read more about the course on the moodle.
Information is also available on the Pan-European Seal Homepage.
Future career opportunities
78 % of Hanken students have a job prior to graduation. A percentage as large as 95 % of the graduating class 2016, had a job 3 months after graduation. For more information concerning career opportunities visit Career Services at Hanken and explore career profiles.
1. BACHELOR’S OR MASTER’S DEGREE FROM A RECOGNISED UNIVERSITY OR POLYTECHNIC
2. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- TOEFL ≥ 92 or
- IELTS ≥ 6.5 or
- PTE Academic ≥ 62 or
C2 Proficiency (previous name CPE): a minimum result of C1 (or C if taken when the test was called CPE
C1 Advanced: Grade C
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree conducted in English in: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States (only the specified countries)
3. AT LEAST 30 ECTS IN SUBJECTS RELEVANT FOR THE PROGRAMME SPECIALISATION/TRACK
4. GMAT OR GRE ADMISSION TEST/GPA REQUIREMENT
- Group 1: Applicants applying based on a degree obtained in an EU/EEA country
- GPA Grade B (US grading scale) in the degree based on which they are applying OR
- GMAT/GRE sufficient test score (see below)
- Group 2: Applicants applying based on a degree obtained in a country outside the EU/EEA
- GMAT: a minimum overall test score of 550 OR
- GRE: In Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning a test score of at least 150, in Analytical Writing; a test score of at least 3,5
5. LETTER OF MOTIVATION
要申请此工作 请将您的详细情况发送到以下邮箱 firstname.lastname@example.org