Molecular Systems Biology track offers extensive training in modern molecular biology and education focused on systems biology (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, gene/protein structure-function relationships) with a special focus on practical laboratory skills and molecular interaction networks. The students will acquire scientific and analytical skills, expertise in present theories and up-to-date technologies, as well as practical skills including teamwork and interpersonal skills; all in an international environment. The skills and knowledge obtained pave the way for future career paths in academia or industry.
Programme in brief
Courses will contain of a mix of teaching methods, including lectures, exercises, laboratory and computer practicals, student-driven presentations as well as completion of an independent research project (M.S. Thesis). Numerical analysis of biological data including bioinformatics and other statistical analyses will be part of curriculum.
The Master’s degree in Bioscience is a two-year programme amounting to 120 ECTS. Both tracks follow their own curriculum of courses. The degree is comprised of:
- Common courses which provides you essential knowledge needed as well as transferrable skills including mandatory language studies
- Track-specific major subject studies that will provide the state-of-the-art theories and practical skills relevant to the field
- Selectable studies that expand your knowledge in specific thematic areas and special themes of your choice
- Master’s thesis where you will apply your newly acquired knowledge
To complete your studies, you will carry out a final project that is an independent and experimental, supervised research project aiming for the Master’s thesis. The purpose of the Master thesis is to display your obtained skills in terms of data gathering, data analysis and interpretation of the analyses, as well as setting your project within the larger scientific background based on scientific literature. You will present your project and its results in a Master’s seminar that follows procedures used in scientific meetings. Subsequently you will write a Master’s thesis that describes your experimental work and its results as well as includes a review of relevant background literature. You will select the topic of your Master´s thesis yourself, with the help of teachers. Thesis work can be done in different departments, faculties or research institutes.
Examples of recent MSc topics:
- Microbial production of synthetic spider silk proteins
- MARCO expressing macrophages as a target of cancer immunotherapy
- Formation of high-light tolerant populations of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
- Production and characterization of secondary metabolites in Streptomyces sp.
- Regulation of endoreduplication by protein phosphatase 2A in Arabidopsis thaliana
- Screening of novel membrane markers for adult hippocampal neurogenesis
- Vimetin modulates focal adhesion dynamics in directionally migrating cells
- Proteomics analysis of root plastids in Arabidopsis thaliana: effects of salt stress
- Potential of microalgae for sustainable biodiesel
The programme offers two tracks:
- Molecular Systems Biology (M.Sc.)
- Evolutionary Biology (M.Sc).
Molecular Systems Biology offers extensive training in modern molecular biology and education focused on systems biology (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, gene/protein structure-function relationships) with a special focus on practical laboratory skills and molecular interaction networks.
In the Evolutionary Biology track focus is on deepening knowledge of evolutionary biology, ecology, genetics, and physiology, with a special focus on bioinformatic and computational methods for analyzing and interpreting evolutionary and NGS data, both modern and ancient DNA.
TRACK-SPECIFIC ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The applicant’s previous degree on the basis of which s/he is seeking admission to the Master’s Degree Programme in Biosciences must be in a relevant field of study. Relevant fields of previous studies for the Molecular Systems Biology track are molecular biosciences including
- cell and molecular biology
- molecular plant biology
- molecular microbiology
Also basic knowledge of numerical analysis of biological data e.g. bioinformatics or statistical analyses is required.
You may apply to both specialization fields of the programme but the choices must be prioritized on the application form.
要申请此工作 请将您的详细情况发送到以下邮箱 email@example.com