Software product management is an integral part of software development.
Software product management defines how the life cycle of a digital product is managed, planned and governed. Continuous business change, imposed by new technology and the digitalisation of businesses and the society, forms the environment for modern software development.
The Master’s Programme in Software Product Management and Business focuses on the design, implementation and maintenance of software and digital services in their business context. The programme combines business with software engineering in modern software platforms and ecosystems.
The Master’s programme builds on the Bachelor’s Programme in Software Engineering and aims to develop professional skills towards understanding complex software-intensive business environments and long-term management aspects of software engineering.
To start the studies directly with a pre-existing Bachelor’s degree, at least 24 ECTS credits in software engineering or related subjects (computer science, information sciences or information technology) are required, but the Bachelor’s degree may be from a different field.
Intended learning outcomes
As a graduates of the Master’s Programme in Software Product Management and Business, you will be able to:
- analyse, develop and manage new software-based digital products in the software industry;
- manage and analyse business platforms related to the digital product portfolio of organisations;
- manage enterprise-level systems and the software landscape and its connections to external platforms and ecosystems;
- analyse a problem and identify and elicit functional, non-functional and sustainability requirements appropriate for its solution;
- demonstrate empiricism and familiarity with the methods of academic research and writing;
- design, evaluate, and adapt software processes and software development tools to meet the needs of an advanced development project;
- elicit user needs and design an effective software solution;
- communicate logically, convincingly, and effectively both orally and in writing;
- function effectively in teams and adapt teaming strategies to improve productivity;
- recognise human, security, social, and entrepreneur issues and responsibilities relevant to engineering software and the digitalisation of services;
- integrate into a multi-cultural working environment with a practical orientation and collaborate in professional networks;
- acknowledge life-long learning as a way to stay up to date in the profession.
Degree structure and studies
The Master’s Programme in Software Product Management and Business is a two-year programme. It leads to the degree of Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.), which is 120 ECTS credits.
The programme is arranged at LUT’s Lahti campus, and it combines lectured courses with online learning assignments.
The programme includes core, specialisation, minor, language and elective studies.
Core studies (31 ECTS credits) include courses on software engineering models and methods, requirements engineering, running a software project, and research design methods.
Specialisation studies (65 ECTS credits) include courses on software product management, software business processes, software innovation and software portfolio management.
The Master’s thesis, 30 ECTS credits, is a part of specialisation studies. The thesis is an advanced research project, which requires approximately six months of full-time work. Students complete it during their fourth semester.
Minor studies (24 ECTS credits) may be selected based on your experience, prior studies and areas of interest from the LUT minor studies portfolio, but industrial engineering and management, business analytics or international business and management are recommended especially.
Elective studies may also be selected from any disciplines at LUT to complement your studies.
After graduation, you will have good competencies to work as an expert in the software industry in development, management and business development.
Typical job titles include:
- senior software developer
- software product manager
- product owner
- business development director.
Degrees Completed Worldwide (excluding Finland)
- Bachelor of Science in Technology OR closely related to Technology – Completed in a University (all countries)
- Bachelor of Engineering – Completed in a University of Applied Sciences (EU/EEA countries)
- Bachelor of Science in Business Informatics or in Business Information Technology – Completed in a University (all countries)
- Bachelor of Business in Informatics or in Business Information Technology – Completed in a University of Applied Sciences (all countries)
- Regarding to both the degrees mentioned above:
- The degree must be equivalent to a similar Finnish Bachelor’s Degree regarding to number of academic years and ECTS credits.
- The degree must give you eligibility to apply to university level Master’s studies in the country where the degree was completed in.
- Having completed a Master’s Degree still makes you eligible to apply, but only when applying with a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Exception 1: Master’s Degree with no immediate prior Bachelor’s Degree included is accepted.
NOTE: The Admissions Committee for the programme always reserves a right to decide whether the degree and the completed studies provide the applicant with eligibility to apply to the programme or not.
Requirements for the Degree Awarding University
The university awarding you the degree you are applying with must be
- An official and recognized part of the national education system
- Listed on the World Higher Education Database WHED
by International Association of Universities.
Requirements for Proficiency in English
Accepted Language Tests
One of the following language tests in English with at least the minimum score mentioned is required from you for proving your proficiency in English:
- TOEFL Academic – 80 iBT – MyBest Scores* accepted as well
- IELTS Academic – 6.0
- PTE Academic – 54
- C1 Advanced by Cambridge English Qualifications – grade C
Previously known as CAE by Cambridge English Qualifications
- C2 Proficiency by Cambridge English Qualifications – grade C
Previously known as CPE by Cambridge English Qualifications
A Language Certificate issued by your home university or any other institution or organisation is not accepted.
*MyBest Scores in TOEFL Academic iBT:
Overall score for the test taker’s highest section of individual scores from all valid test dates in the last 2 years. Available for score reports from August 1, 2019 onwards. All the individual results must be valid ones.
Validity for the Language Test
- Test result must be valid on December 2, 2019 i.e. on the first day of the application period
- Validity for 2 years from the date of taking the test
Minimum Requirement for Programme-Specific Studies
To possibly get admitted, you must have completed
- a minimum of 24 ECTS credits of programme-specific studies supportive to your future studies in some of the following fields: Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Business Informatics, Information Processing or Engineering, Business System Analytics or Design, Programming, Databases or Data Science
要申请此工作 请将您的详细情况发送到以下邮箱 firstname.lastname@example.org